[mythtv-users] Cropping with PVR-150

Jim Stichnoth stichnot at gmail.com
Thu Sep 25 16:59:03 UTC 2008

I recently installed a Hauppauge PVR-150 to complement my two HDHomeRun
boxes, with the s-video input connected to a DirecTiVo box.  I have closed
captioning enabled in the mythtv setup, which works great, except that the
PVR-150 seems to be cropping around 10 lines from the top, and inserting a
horizontal black bar at the bottom.  Doing "cat /dev/video > /tmp/foo.mpg"
and then playing foo.mpg with xine or mplayer also shows the black bar (as
well as a smaller vertical black bar on the left), and foo.mpg is at 720x480
resolution.

If I first execute "v4l2-ctl -b off", then the bottom black bar is no longer
there in foo.mpg (though the small black bar on the left is the same).  I'm
guessing that the PVR-150 and/or ivtv are helpfully stripping the VBI
information.  But this is not really necessary since I already have global
settings to deal with the flickering VBI line in the picture that the HDHR
picks up from digital SD broadcasts.

Is there a way to get rid of this bottom black bar and also keep closed
captions?

I'm running MythDora 5.  I'm not quite sure how to figure out what version
of ivtv I have.

Jim