[mythtv-users] thrashing hard drive

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Sep 24 22:38:27 UTC 2008

On 09/24/2008 06:30 PM, Khanh Tran wrote:
> I hate to add this "unpopular" thought about Linux filesystems, but
> I've found defragging the filesystem to help thrashing.  I use xfs as
> my recording partition and it gets fragmented contrary to popular
> belief.
>
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/XFS_Filesystem

And I've found that having at least 1 filesystem (each of approximately
equal fullness) per capture card*** in my storage groups is the best way
to prevent fragmentation.  And, having at least 1 spindle (drive) per
capture card*** is the best way to prevent lots of seeking during recording.

Mike

*** I guess technically, due to multirec, you need at least 1 <whatever>
per potential simultaneous recording (per virtual capture card?).