[mythtv-users] Fastest RAID for HD?

Blammo blammo.doh at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 18:12:19 UTC 2008

On Tue, Sep 2, 2008 at 11:02 AM, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> From Newegg
> Case = $70
> 3-to-5 Backplane Adapter = ~$100/ea * 2 = $200
> 2-to-3 Backplane Adapter = ~$60
> =~$330
> Then the problem is I'd need to find SATA controller cards for all the
> drives, though that may end up entailing buying a new motherboard too,
> the current one has 4xSATA on board, and two free PCI slots.

I've had really good luck with 3ware 9500S series.. you can typically
ebay the 4-port version under $100 and the 8-port under $200. Hardware
raid5, hot-swap ability, install the 3dm2 tool, and you get emails on
array events, GUI for utils, etc. It's a PCI-X card, but it will work
find in PCI slots. You'll cap yourself at about 100MB sec throughput
using PCI instead of PCI-X, but that's more than enough for myth. :)