[mythtv-users] thrashing hard drive

jansenj jansenj+myth at gmail.com
Wed Sep 24 14:56:55 UTC 2008

I've noticed my hard drive thrashing a lot while recording 2 hd shows
(from hdhomerun) and watching a third HD show on a frontend/backend.
I've noticed some issues with the 2 hd recordings when I do this.  Is
there an easy way to reduce the amount of head movement on the hard
drive?  Can you force an IO buffer so you can burst closer to 8mb or
something along those lines.  Does the HD ring buffer help out with
normal recording?  Otherwise is there a generic linux parameter that
could help out.  I have 1gig of RAM, would more help?  I only have 1
hard drive right now for recordings.  Any suggestions?