[mythtv-users] Playback on Vista laptop

stuart stuart at xnet.com
Wed Sep 24 14:21:42 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 3, 2008, at 4:34 PM, stuart wrote:
>
>> Bobby Gill wrote:
>>> As a linux user who uses the occasional XP, I was just typing a
>>> document
>>> on my dad's Vista laptop when a little popup dialog came up asking
>>> me if
>>> I wanted to open media sharing with Mythbox MythTV AV Media server. I
>>> was a bit perplexed and went through a few motions to open the
>>> sharing
>>> access, then the Windows Media Player Library opens up and I saw in
>>> the
>>> Video section all recordings from my mythbox server. I tried
>>> playing one
>>> and it worked, but the reading is pretty slow, and I'm wondering if
>>> it's
>>> already streaming or is it downloading the entire file to cache to
>>> then
>>> playback, or what the method is. If it's not already, how can I
>>> have it
>>> stream instead?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>> Bob
>
> It is streaming. Just slowly for whatever reason.
>
>> I saw this thread and had to follow up!  I have a newly purchased HP
>> Vista laptop and happened upon the Mythtv UPNP server similarly.
>>
>> However, in my experiance the Vista/HP Media Center (similar to the
>> one
>> mentioned above??) only worked for NTSC recordings.  It did not work
>> for
>> ATSC recordings - no matter what the resolution.  That is to say: It
>> didn't work for ATSC 1080, it didn't work for ATSC 720 and it didn't
>> even work for ATSC standard-definition (i.e. old TV shows (assume
>> 512 or
>> 256).
>
> It sounds like you don't have the proper codec installed in Windows
> Media Player to play back those files.
>
> -Brad

Sorry to bump this so late (20+ days after last post) but I could use a
little help.

(I don't like the "try this and see what happens" approach and would
rather do something that has worked for others.)

I agree, the stock "HP Media Center" used to playback UPNP accessible
mythtv recordings is probably "short" w.r.t. codecs for playing back
ATSC OTA mythtv recordings.  But where do you get codecs for Vista?  I
found this (trusted) site:

> http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=06fcaab7-dcc9-466b-b0c4-04db144bb601&displaylang=en

..but it has a date of publication which is over 4 years old!  And I'm
not sure if this M$ codec update package only works for the M$ media
player or will also work for the HP media player.  Humm, I'm not even
sure if the HP media player is a rebranded M$ media player.

...thanks for any help.