[mythtv-users] Help with picking motherboard

Shanon Swafford listbox at swaffordfamily.com
Wed Sep 24 02:13:31 UTC 2008

Hi guys,

I've been lurking for a while and am planning to build a system for
mythdora.  I've googled and googled but just can't make up my mind.

My Requirements are the following:

1080i via HDMI to my TV.
S/PDIF Out (Optical) to Sony Tuner.
I have a Pinnacle 800i PCI tuner card.
Will probably add a digital dual tuner card to have 3 tuners.

It will need to be an FE/BE and I want to watch and record OTA in the US and
HD via Comcast Digital unencrypted QAM as long as it is available.  Drop
cable if it that goes away.

So I'm stuck between 2 motherboard models:

AMD (GIGABYTE GA-MA78GM-S2H):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128090

Intel (ASUS P5Q-EM):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131336

Which would you pick if you where building one now for mythdora?

What processor and amount of RAM should I get to match these for 1080i?  TV
doesn't support 1080p.

Am I missing something better for close to the same money.

Thanks in advance,
Shanon