[mythtv-users] Hardware advice

plainfaceboy plainfaceboy at hotmail.com
Tue Sep 23 22:18:54 UTC 2008

I'm planning on building an HTPC (also for internet and general use), and after a bit of research am thinking of Mythdora, (I've not really used a linux box to any degree), and re. hardware, so far I'm looking at the following for case, MB and CPU;
Silverstone Grandia GD01S-MXR Silver Desktop (with the display - I know this has caused some people problems, but it does seem to work?)
ASUS M3N78 PRO
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4850e AM2 Dual Core 2.5GHz

Would be using this with a Sony HD TV (with HDMI), and want the full ATX to provide more options for expansion etc. Can anyone confirm if this MB would work ok with MythTV and especially Mythdora?.
It seems support for the integrated nVidia graphics is better than for the ATX (780G), but it would be good to confirm Mythdora does work ok with this?

Will probably get a 500GB - 1TB HD and DVD-RW for now (Blu-Ray can wait).

Not sure about tuners - I would want something to capture analogue (old videos and camcorders etc), and as I'm in UK something to get freeview (dual channel so I can watch and record?)
I do also have an old sky dish and box - could I get a a card that would replace my sky box - or is this not worth doing?
What would be the easiest, most reliable way of doing all this?

I'll probably have even more questions as I get into this, but any help would hopefully set me in the right direction, and get me started actually building something!
Thanks.