[mythtv-users] USB->Serial for controlling DirecTV boxes

David George david at thegeorges.us
Tue Sep 23 15:44:48 UTC 2008

On 9/23/2008 9:33 AM, Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> On Sep 23, 2008, at 5:51 AM, Ken Mandelberg wrote:
>

>> A related topic:
>>
>> I have a need to control an HR21 DirecTV DVR, independent of Myth.
>> This
>> DVR is doing some VLC streaming. Is there any standalone
>> hardware/software for this? The hardware connection could be
>> HR21-USB<>PC-USB or HR21-USB<>PC-Serial. (I presume there is no way to
>> the HR21 with the HR21 ethernet).
>>

> Hook it up the same way you would when using myth. The "USB" port on
> the box only looks like a USB port, but it's actually a serial port,
> so you still need to go HR21->USB to Serial->Null Modem->PC-Serial.

It is a USB port otherwise it would not require a PL2303 USB to RS-232
converter chip :-)

Likely they have written the driver to only support the PL2303 RS-232
converter chip for the port.  Maybe in the future Directv will release a
firmware update that will support additional USB to RS-232 converter
chips (not going to hold my breath though).

--
David