[mythtv-users] System sound issues

Allen Edwards allen.p.edwards at gmail.com
Tue Sep 23 04:07:32 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 22, 2008 at 1:56 PM, Jim Marshall
<jim_marshall2268 at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>  I am using mythdora 5.0, I have an ASUS P4S800D-X mobo which has an "ADI AD1888 SoundMax 6 channel audio codec S/PDIF out". I have it hooked up via a coaxial to an Onkyo stereo.
>
> In Myth I have it configured to use ALSA:spdif and ALSA: IEC{...}. Sound works fine for Live TV and recorded programs. However; if I try to listen to any Streams or system sounds I hear nothing. The streams play fine (visually) but I hear no sound.
>
> Any thoughts on what I can do to get the sound to work in the system?
>
> Thanks

You won't like my solution and I would love to hear if you find
another solution but I will tell you what I did just in case you can't
find anything else.  When I am not in myth and watching streaming, my
sound comes out the analog l+r jack.  For myth, I have a stereo spdif
decoder that feeds my tv.  I take the output of the decoder and the
output of the computer l+r jack and combine them with two 1k resistors
(actually a total of 4 resistors).  The summed output goes to the tv.
If I wanted to go to a hifi receiver, i would take the analog output
to an aux input and switch the receiver when i wanted to watch
something streaming.

Kind of a hack but it works.

Allen