[mythtv-users] Any advice on cooling down my backend

Dan Wilga mythtv-users2 at dwilga-linux1.amherst.edu
Mon Sep 22 13:15:49 UTC 2008

At 11:20 AM -0600 9/19/08, Brian Wood wrote:
>Edmund wrote:
>>  My myth backend is in a small cupboard with a switch, router and a
>>  couple of other things. The cupboard is quite warm even though the rest
>>  of the room is cool. I am concerned that if next summer is hot the
>>  cupboard might become too hot for the PC.
>
>The most obvious thing would be to ventilate the cupboard somehow. Quiet
>fans are available.

I second this. My all-wood TV rack used to get very warm. Now, in the
hotter months, I turn on a small fan that sucks air from the front
and out a hole in the back. It makes a huge difference.

I'm using a fan that is designed for 120 VAC attached to a
transformer that steps the voltage down to around 45 VAC (IIRC). This
reduces the noise to almost nothing, while still keeping decent
airflow.