[mythtv-users] Building a Simple, Barebones, Minimalist, Cheap Backend

Ivan Kowalenko kichigaimentat at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 04:03:01 UTC 2008

On Sep 21, 2008, at 20.44, Maatt wrote:

>> hardware people have had experiences with (Love it/Hate it/Kill it
>> with fire)?
>
> I had an ECS VIA motherboard where the USB capture devices kept
> disconnecting all the time (which screws myth). The same devices are
> OK on a different mobo. For that reason I'd buy something Intel based
> from a decent board maker (eg Gigabyte/Asus?), although that will
> break your budget.

Well, my budget isn't a hard-and-fast number, just a "I'd really like
to build this as cheap as possible." I'm aiming for low power
consumption while I'm at it, so I was thinking maybe an Atom or Geode
based system. All that's really going on in the CPU is going to be
commflag and one 30 minute iPod transcode job (which isn't super high
priority, since by the time I grab it, around six hours will have
passed since recording).

Were you thinking Atom or some kind of Celeron?