[mythtv-users] Peak Hardware Single or Dual Tuner - any users?

Dan Ritter dsr-myth at tao.merseine.nu
Sun Sep 21 11:02:09 UTC 2008

On Fri, Sep 19, 2008 at 01:35:00PM +0000, James Buckle wrote:
> Im trying to find out if anyone is using a Peak Hardware tuner - I'm in the market for a tuner but cant justify the extra cost of the "known makes" unless I have no other choice (I might as well buy a DVR and keep my mp3/photos seperate if tuners are too pricey). The product description can be found here:
> http://www.peakhardware.com/products/productdetail.asp?PAID=383

I'm going to assume you live somewhere that DVB-T is a normal
transmission scheme. This card would be useless in, say, North
America.

> Is the Peak card an encoder too - i.e. will my old Athlon 2500 with 2 gig of ram and a TB of space be sufficient for encoding and playing, or do I need to find a card with an encoder in it?

This is a digital capture card -- there's no encoding on the
card, but the signal coming in is already encoded in MPEG2,
MPEG4 or what-have-you. If it works, then the system above is
certainly good for standard-definition recording and playback,
and depending on your video card may be good enough for HD
playback of MPEG2, but probably not for HD H.264.

-dsr-

You can't defend freedom by getting rid of it.