[mythtv-users] MSI motherboard

Josh White jaw1959 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 20 20:52:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 20, 2008 at 4:09 PM, Josh White <jaw1959 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I need to upgrade a frontend, and I'm thinking of shuffling my BE
> motherboard to my FE, and replacing the BE motherboard with this MSI board:
> http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130129  I like it
> because it has 3 PCI slots that should work well with my 3 tuner cards, and
> the price looks right.
>
> My only previous experience with MSI boards involve a Vista box that I
> built for my brother.  It came as part of a "barebones" machine that I
> purchased through Newegg, and it worked well, except it wouldn't shut off
> when I shutdown Vista.  Does anyone have any experience with these boards
> and Ubuntu?  If so, how did the power management functions work?
>
> Of course, if anyone has an alternative board to suggest, I'm all ears.  My
> main needs are onboard NIC, and at least 3 PCI slots.  Onboard video isn't
> necessary, but welcome.
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> -Josh

I'm also choosing a new CPU for a frontend, and I've found the following:

Intel Core 2 Duo E7200 Wolfdale 2.53GHz 3MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
Processor - Retail
(http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115052)

and

Intel Pentium E5200 Wolfdale 2.5GHz 2MB L2 Cache LGA 775 65W Dual-Core
Processor - Retail (
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072)

What would the performance difference between the two be in terms of Myth?
I'm planning to use this machine initially to view SD recordings from my
PVR-250 & PVR-500's, but I could foresee using it to view HD recordings in
the future.

Since the power usage is about the same, and the CPU frequencies are about
the same, I would imagine that the Core2 Duo would be faster, but is if
faster enough to justify the increase in price?  Would the performance
benefits be noticed?  I intend to use this card without relying on XVMC
support for the GPU, so the CPU will be doing some work.

Again, Thanks for any advice.

-Josh