[mythtv-users] Restricting the size of storage group

Edmund edmund.1 at dial.pipex.com
Sat Sep 20 19:22:01 UTC 2008

Hi,

I currently have two discs for myth storage, another for storing PC
backups (using samba) and a fourth for other media and file sharing. I
am considering changing the configuration to RAID5. I know I will lose
25% but I am happy with that for the redundancy (and I can always add a
fifth disc later).

My problem is that I think mythtv will keep filling the array until it
is full. I need some spare space to be reserved for the other two
applications.

I have googled a bit on setting a maximum size for a folder and there
are a couple of things such as debian quota/quotatool and something else
where a filesystem is mounted inside a file. This is all above my head.

I was thinking that if I partitioned each disc 60%/40% and then combined
each of the 60%s into a raid 5 for the myth storage and the same for
each of the 40% that would work. However I have to decide now on the
split as I think it would be too hard to change in the future.

Has anyone with raid 5 array shared its use with other things?