[mythtv-users] Any advice on cooling down my backend

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Fri Sep 19 17:38:03 UTC 2008

Edmund wrote:
> My myth backend is in a small cupboard with a switch, router and a
> couple of other things. The cupboard is quite warm even though the rest
> of the room is cool. I am concerned that if next summer is hot the
> cupboard might become too hot for the PC.
>
> I am considering removing the graphics card. There is no monitor on the
> PC, but I do connect one from time to time. Mainly when playing with the
> bios. Removing the card will probably mean changing a bios setting
> becomes a real chore. Is there anyway to turn a PCIe card off from the
> command line?
>
> The PC is used as a file server which holds music and backups and other
> stuff so turning it off when myth isn't recording isn't an option, but
> is there any way of underclocking from software? It is an AMD64 x2 chip
> and I think from XP this is possible. I could then underclock it in the
> daytime, when it isn't doing much (and the room is warmer).
>
> I don't want to replace the motherboard at this time, but next time I
> change something I might look at cooler chips.
>
> Any other ideas. (There is no air con in the house.)

I run a very similar system to you. My cupboard currently houses Myth server,
main/terminal server, Firewall, switch and two printers. All my boxes are on 24/7.

The cupboard, fortunately for me, is next to one that the last owner intended to
use as an en-suite. It was too small for that, so it's been filled up with stuff
and I moved the extractor fan over to the one with the machines in it. That goes
into the flat roof space immediately above, then out to the eaves.

I also cut a slot in the floor and added vents (the room is a dormer, so I get
cool air coming in from below from the edge of the roof that way). It doesn't
entirely work, I think the fan trunking is obstructed some way, I still have to
look at that, but it works better than if the fan is off. Cupboard temp is about
30-31 centigrade with the door shut, so mostly the door stays open at the moment.

My original server died, so I had to replace the motherboard and merge two
boxes. I am typing this from a thin LTSP client - I don't have any fat clients
any more till some money falls out the sky. Point is, the new motherboard has
about 1/4 the power drain of the two boards it replaced (combined). That's 55W
against 175W + 35W. Took me a while to notice. Just shows that some of the more
modern tech out there can be a benefit, even if the upgrade is painful at the time.

Other point - your Myth box will warm up quite a bit when it's recording or
playing back. Even if you use cool'n quiet etc. you have to be aware that the
temperature is going to rise quite a bit while you are using your systems.
Remember to factor that into your calculations.

--

Mike Perkins