[mythtv-users] Many programs not getting any commercial detection

Bob Sully rcs at malibyte.net
Fri Sep 19 05:19:13 UTC 2008

> Mark,
>
> I'm not sure if my problem is related to yours or not.  I've noticed
> commercial detection flake out recently as well.  Especially with
> commercials that precede a program, or those that follow a program.
> I've tried running the backend with verbose logging turned on, but I
> really don't know what it look for, and it quickly gets over a hundred
> pages long when I try to save the log to a file.
>
> My biggest problem is even if I manually flag commercials, myth will
> not cut them when I do a transcode.  The file gets shrunk (going from
> mpeg2 to mpeg4) but the commercials are left in tact.  Whats funny is,
> the skip list still works, so myth at least skips them when I play the
> video on the front end, but it doesn't help when I move the video to
> disc for archiving.
>
> I'm running mythdora 5; i've run yum update \*myth\* a few times, so
> I'm not sure where my version number is at.
>
> Gordon
>
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 9:30 AM, Mark Knecht <markknecht at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I've seen this off and on in the past but lately it's a bigger issue.
>> Maybe 40% of my recordings never get any commercial detection. Either
>> it doesn't run or it doesn't find any commercials.
>>
>> Anyone else seeing this? What do I look for in the logs to see what's
>> going on?

I don't know whether this was done with any intent to foil DVR sofware
such as Myth (I doubt it), but I noticed a lot of this in my recordings of
the Olympics last month on NBC.  Commercials were often not flagged (some
were, some weren't) but I wasn't having any problems with other shows.  I
started looking closely and noticed that the commercials which were NOT
skipped were preceded by a significantly shorter "fade to black" than
usual.  Maybe that was it, maybe not.

Bob