[mythtv-users] Disable DPMS in mythbuntu

finlay finlay at moeraki.com
Fri Sep 19 04:00:39 UTC 2008

Joe Ripley wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 18, 2008 at 2:30 PM, finlay <finlay at moeraki.com> wrote:
>

>> THanks for your reply. I think I wasn't clear in what I was trying to
>> accomplish. I'd like to stop the mythfrontend from enabling and
>> disabling DPMS. I can disable DPMS in xorg.conf or using xset -dpms but
>> as soon as the mythfrontend starts up it enables DPMS and then starts
>> enabling and disabling DPMS ignoring the xorg.conf settings, etc. Is
>> this possible with 0.21 mythtv?
>>

> I think if you disable your screensaver and DPMS before Mythfrontend
> starts, it won't bother with enabling/disabling them.  Just make sure
> you do this prior to running mythfrontend:
>
> xset s noblank
> xset s off
> xset -dpms
>
> Myth is supposed to respect your DPMS setting:
>
> http://svn.mythtv.org/trac/browser/branches/release-0-21-fixes/mythtv/libs/libmyth/screensaver-x11.cpp#L173
>
> To completely eliminate the DPMS enabling/disabling, you'd have to
> modify the code...

Thanks for your reply. It does seem that the code respects the DPMS
setting. This prompted me to go back thru my setup and I realized that I
made a mistake in putting the xset commands in .xsession instead of
.xsessionrc. Once I fixed that it works as desired. I found this was
necessary since the xorg.conf options don't seem to affect DPMS for the
xserver.

John