[mythtv-users] Database version problem / sw versions from atrpms?

Jeff Bevis digijock at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 20:51:05 UTC 2008

Okay,

Well I've been stumped for a while now on this one.  Time to ask for help.

A while ago, I set off to update my machines to Fedora 9.  My
configuration is a single backend pc that maintains its mysql database
locally,  a separate frontend pc, and third machine which is basically a
file server for all the video.

To start off, I set up a completely separate, fresh installation of
Fedora 9 for a new frontend.  My thinking was, I'd avoid breaking my
current system at least a little while longer by getting that going
first.  However, after this was all neatly installed and ready, I was
informed by the frontend that the database version running on my backend
was incompatible, and must be updated.  Okay, this was not a surprise --
the backend was still running on Fedora 6, and hadn't been updated in
quite some time.

(insert delay of a few weeks whilst I built up courage to rebuild the
backend simultaneously with a new frontend.  I remember two months of
hell trying to get it to work the first time;  it's much easier in the
next go, but nonetheless daunting ;-)

I backed up critical info (database, config, etc.) from my backend to
the file server, and swapped the backend disk out for another.  Then I
reinstalled fresh from Fedora 9, and returned the data from the file
server.  It went pretty smoothly.  In fact, the backend is up and going,
recording programs just fine for the most part.  The database was
updated to a later schema version automatically by mythbackend (though
it failed cryptically when I tried to do this via mythtvsetup initially).

Finally, the happy moment had arrived.  I went back to my "fresh"
frontend, having been built a few weeks earlier and ready to go (or so I
thought).  "mythfrontend" -- at last -- and THUD.  The frontend says the
backend Db is *still* incompatible and needs to be updated.

What??  Okay, something changed in the time between installs for the
backend and frontend.  I took it all down, updated everything with yum
on both boxes, even "reinstall" on the mythtv components.  Still, no
good.  Then I noticed that the backend and frontend report different
versions, thus:

====
# Linux tomato 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.i686 #1 SMP Mon Aug 4 14:08:11 EDT 2008
i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux
# mythfrontend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 17446
MythTV Branch    : trunk
Library API      : 0.22.20080512-2
Network Protocol : 40
QT Version       : 4.3.4
Options compiled in:
linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_backend using_dbox2
using_dvb using_frontend using_hdhomerun using_iptv using_ivtv
using_joystick_menu using_lirc using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr using_xv
using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_bindings_perl
using_bindings_python using_opengl using_ffmpeg_threads using_live
====
# Linux grape 2.6.25.14-108.fc9.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Aug 4 13:46:35 EDT
2008 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
# mythbackend --version
Please include all output in bug reports.
MythTV Version   : 17961M
MythTV Branch    : branches/release-0-21-fixes
Library API      : 0.21.20080304-1
Network Protocol : 40
Options compiled in:
linux release using_oss using_alsa using_arts using_jack using_backend
using_dbox2 using_dvb using_firewire using_frontend using_hdhomerun
using_iptv using_ivtv using_joystick_menu using_libfftw3 using_lirc
using_opengl_vsync using_opengl_video using_v4l using_x11 using_xrandr
using_xv using_xvmc using_xvmcw using_xvmc_vld using_glx_proc_addr_arb
using_bindings_perl using_bindings_python using_opengl
using_ffmpeg_threads using_libavc_5_3 using_live
====

Same kernel, different mythtv version, different branch!  wtf?  I
installed both directly via yum, using the atrpms repo -- why are the
versions vastly different?  Why is one trunk, and the other
branches/release-0-21-fixes?   Version 17446 version 17961M, too.  I
have been stuck here for ... well, let's just say an embarassing number
of days now.

Is it because one machine is x86_64, and the other i686 arch?  That's
all I have left in my bag of guesses, but I'd like to know what's going
on here.  Google, lists, wikis, and so forth have not given me a clue yet.

Where did I go wrong?  Any ideas?  How can I fix this (whilst remaining
yum-friendly atrpms-synchronized)?   Please don't tell me I have to
build it and install it - I could probably do that, but it's going to
shatter my last hopes for yum as a usable package mgmt tool if I do.

-Jeff