[mythtv-users] Getting OT - Does my CPU need replacing?

David Watkins watkinshome at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 12:11:16 UTC 2008

> This week, it has started to self power off after being running for 20
> minutes (alkthough at some times, it would turn off during boot up).
> Tonight I had another look at the CPU and again cleaned it up and
> obviously put some thermal paste on there as rebuilt it.  Now when I
> try and turn it on, it doesn't even get past a full post without
> powering down, so I don't think it can be thermal conductivity given
> how quick it shuts down now.

If you have almost no thermal conductivity to the heatsink then the
CPU would overheat within a few seconds.  If the heatsink is clogged
with dust, or there's no airflow, then it would overheat in a few
minutes.

Make sure that the heatsink is sitting squarely on the face of the CPU
and that you have only enough thermal paste to create a film acroos
the CPU top.  More paste is *not* better.

Make sure that the springs or clips that secure the heatsink to the
socket are tight and are not causing the heatsink to skew.

If the CPU starts the POST then there is [probably] still some life in it.