[mythtv-users] Getting OT - Does my CPU need replacing?

David Whyte david.whyte at gmail.com
Thu Sep 18 11:37:27 UTC 2008

Hi,

One of my Aopen MiniPC frontends (MP915-X) has been running hot.  I
bought it a while ago from eBay and I am sure it was fine when I first
tried it but I have only just put it to use this last week.  Anyways,
it was running hot (75 degrees Celsius at idle) so I took out the heat
sink, cleaned up the CPU and put some new Arctic Silver 5 thermal
paste on it but it doesn't seem to run any cooler.  The CPU is a
Pentium M 740 1.73 GHz.

This week, it has started to self power off after being running for 20
minutes (alkthough at some times, it would turn off during boot up).
Tonight I had another look at the CPU and again cleaned it up and
obviously put some thermal paste on there as rebuilt it.  Now when I
try and turn it on, it doesn't even get past a full post without
powering down, so I don't think it can be thermal conductivity given
how quick it shuts down now.

Should I just get a new CPU or is there some other test that I can
perform.  I thought about swapping out the CPU from one of my other
miniPCs that does work, but I don't want to be down two frontends...

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,
Whytey