[mythtv-users] Apple TV as frontend - but I don't have any widescreen yet

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Wed Sep 17 15:54:59 UTC 2008

On Sep 17, 2008, at 8:18 AM, jedi wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 16, 2008 at 12:43:03PM -0700, Brad DerManouelian wrote:

>>>    It does DVD's ripped to h264 just fine.
>>>
>>>    Personally, I wouldn't bother attempting "h264 at 720p" on an
>>> ATV.
>>
>> Personally, I would. Other people have reported success playing 720p
>> h264 at "low" bitrates. I'm not sure what bitrates it can handle, but
>> apparently it does ok on lower ones.
>
> That was Davilla and he actively avoids using the internal player.
>
> ...can't say that I really blame him. Although his is not a
> configuration I would want to try and replicate.
>
> I will have to crank the bitrate down and see what happens.
> Although for now I am more interested in keeping my backends up.

I've recently been recording with 2 HD-PVR's. In the process, I found
that I could not play back 720p content with my frontend until I
compiled from trunk and now I can play back quite nicely. For kicks, I
copied over one of my files to the AppleTV running current-fixes
mythbuntu and it *nearly* played back - meaning that video played back
smoothly and audio played back smoothly, but out of sync with each
other. When I find the time, I'm going to reformat the AppleTV,
install with ubuntu and compile a trunk frontend which, by all
indications, will play back 720p content ok.

If someone happens to know of a public repository for running a recent
trunk frontend under mythbuntu, I could test this much quicker and get
a definitive answer.