[mythtv-users] No reception or EIT for Channel 5 in Essex

Mike Perkins mikep at randomtraveller.org.uk
Wed Sep 17 14:07:30 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:
>> I think you need to back to collage   a little .
>>
>> I did state UK and COAX i care not for the US system of 300 Ohm ribon
>>

> Free space is 377 ohms so they build antennas at 300 ohms to match
> into free space.  Then they use a 4:1 transformer (a balum) to match
> to the 75 ohm coax.  I see from looking at amazon.co.uk that all your
> antennas have balums built in for some reason.  Sorry, I did not
> realize that.
>
> I also didn't realize that hybrid combiners like these:
> https://www.tselectronic.com/chanplus/2532_34.html
> had not made it over there yet.  You really should get some so you
> don't have to mismatch the coax the way you explained in your writeup.
>  Too bad you use such junk over there when these combiners are so
> inexpensive.
>
> By the way, I have a Masters in EE from Stanford, an Extra Class Ham
> license, and 30 years experience in RF.  That is enough education for
> now.

Sorry, chum, in the UK *all* Sat and TV aerials are designed to connect to 75
ohm feed, and everything following that is designed to match the 75 ohm
standard. All filters, combiners, splitters, amplifiers, *everything*. Over this
side of the pond we have standards which actually are followed, you know? UK != US.

You might have a masters degree for all I care. I am not sure I would trust
advice from someone who can't spell BALUN.

--

Mike Perkins