[mythtv-users] Remote access to the back end

Nick Morrott knowledgejunkie at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 02:31:09 UTC 2008

On 16/09/2008, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:

>  Nick Morrott wrote:
>  > On 14/09/2008, David Segall <david at segall.net> wrote:
>  >> Some time ago I added some information to the MythTV wiki that included
>  >>  a paragraph on providing remote access to a MythTV back end
>  >>  <http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/index.php/Microsoft_Access#Enable_access_to_the_database_from_remote_computers>.
>  >>  The URL I provided
>  >>  <http://www.mythtv.org/docs/mythtv-HOWTO-6.html#ss6.2> does not mention
>  >>  the need to provide an external web address in MythTV's database setup
>  >>  menu. That was probably a serious omission but I have recently installed
>  >>  Mythbuntu and that required the additional step of enabling the MySQL
>  >>  service in the Mythbuntu Control Centre.
>  >
>  > I think the user guide details on non-master backends adequately
>  > covers setting up database access for remote backend machines, but
>  > perhaps a very basic section covering 'ideal' network setup/settings
>  > for all machines could be beneficial to new/inexperienced users. The
>  > requirement for database server address is not as strict as that for
>  > master/local machine /IP/ address - the backend/frontend needs to able
>  > to connect to it, whether it's local or remote.
>  >
>  > Information on configuring the DB server to accept remote connection
>  > is also covered in detail in the user guide. Once the DB accepts
>  > remote connections - all a user has to do is enter the IP address of
>  > the DB server as requested.
>  >
>  >>  I now fear my wiki entry will lead the reader into hours of frustration
>  >>  but I am reluctant to add the details I know to my entry because the
>  >>  information about connecting to a remote database should be on a single
>  >>  web page. Does the web page already exist and I have failed to find it
>  >>  or should I add the information to the wiki despite my extremely limited
>  >>  experience with installing MythTV?
>  >
>  > I wouldn't worry too much - it's hidden away on the Microsoft Access
>  > wiki page, so I'm guessing it has a very small readership anyway :).
>
> That's why I'm "worrying". I believe the information on ensuring that
>  the database is remotely accessible should be on a page where people
>  will find it. I agree that most of the required information is included
>  somewhere in the User Guide but I was hoping to find a summary.

I agree that a separate section located towards the front of the User
Guide which discusses the requirements for networked MythTV to work
properly - with links to the relevant sections in the User Guide which
discuss each of these requirements in more details - would be
beneficial. Robert Kulagowski (who maintains the non-wiki user guide
distributed with the MythTV source) is the guy who looks after the
documentation tickets on the MythTV 'bugzilla', so please submit any
drafts you may write.

> > Incidentally. I would recommend using neither Access nor Base to
>  > manually edit the MythTV database - I would instead use a tool like
>  > phpMyAdmin which is simple to use and available in a web browser.
>
> That is probably because you are a database administrator rather than a
>  database user. Access and Base provide a simple, updateable spreadsheet
>  view of a table. The "spreadsheet" can be the result of a filter, join
>  and/or sort without knowing any SQL. Access and Base provide database
>  access in the same way that MythTV offers "Custom Record" rather than
>  insisting on the SQL input. In addition, either Access or Base can be
>  used with almost any database so you only need to learn one tool.

I'm certainly no DBA, but I am aware of how easy it can be to
'accidentally' change something. Having users consider that directly
editing the MythTV database is 'probably not a good thing' is another
bonus - there really isn't much if any need to directly interact with
the MythTV database - granting access to users on the local network
would seem to be the primary reason (and I think MythBuntu handles
this via its control centre GUI).

To anyone considering editing the MythTV database directly
(unsupported), take a backup first!

Nick

--
Nick Morrott