[mythtv-users] Cable Programmers versus the FCC

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Tue Sep 16 22:12:16 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:
> On 09/16/2008 05:19 PM, Allen Edwards wrote:
>> The way I read the rules was that the government didn't want to have
>> to provide more set top boxes to allow people to get their signals.
>>

> Good.  The $1.8 billion they had me (and my fellow taxpayers) spend on
> the 8% of the population who use OTA broadcast signals was enough.
> (Though I have a sneaking suspicion that the coupons are going out to a
> /lot/ of people who don't need them and wouldn't be surprised to learn
> that they're not going out to some of the people who do.)

A couple of local stores here are telling folks they can get a
"discount" on purchases other than the converters by turning in their
coupons to the store. I'm not sure if this is just a marketing gimmick,
or of they are actually accepting the coupons as cash, if the latter, I
think it would be illegal, but if they are just throwing them away I'm
not so sure.

beww