[mythtv-users] mythcommflag corrupting recordings

kanetse@gmail.com kane.tse at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 06:04:08 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 15, 2008 at 6:50 PM, Joann Bessler <bessler at dccnet.com> wrote:

> I sympathize. I have been seeing this for months ... only on US
> network shows recorded over firewire in HD. Some shows are fine, most
> prime time high-profile offerings are unwatchable. My solution has
> been to deprecate the recording priority on those channels so that
> myth prefers to record on a Canadian carrier, or, if necessary, will
> record all US network shows in SD, which is a shame, really. My
> husband blames a CRTC conspiracy.

If you don't mind me asking, where are you located and what TV
provider are you using?  I'm on Shaw Cable in Vancouver.

If it helps any, I've found that running a quick transcode job seems
to fix the problem; but the catch seems to be that I have to wait
until the recording is completely recorded before I can run the
transcode job - so I can't watch recordings as they're being recorded.

I've set up a user job with the following command "mythtranscode
--mpeg2 --buildindex --allkeys --showprogress --infile <filepath>"
which is run after every show is recorded.  It only takes 3-4 minutes
to run for a one hour HD recording, so its fast.

Does anyone know how to change the arguments to the default transcode
job?  I'd like to set that up as a transcode job rather than as a user
job.  I haven't yet found the MythTV wiki page that explains how to
work with the transcode jobs yet.