[mythtv-users] Apple TV as frontend - but I don't have any widescreen yet

Scott D. Davilla davilla at 4pi.com
Tue Sep 16 01:48:26 UTC 2008

>I am highly intrigued by getting an Apple TV to use as a MythTV
>frontend, but it only dawned on me today that it's output is an HDMI
>cable.
>
>So, some questions.
>
>1) Pretend for a second that I bought an HD TV...could I connect the
>Apple TV to it...and watch my OLD Standard Def recordings from MythTV

The resolution of your video content and the resolution of your
display are two different things. Short answer yes you can watch SD
content on a HD display.

>2) Purchase a converter: http://www.svideo.com/appletv2tv.html for
>$139 (sale price).  Does anyone else have this?  Does anyone have a
>different converter that's cheaper?

This is a component to s-video converter, you don't need this as you
can do the same thing under Linux using a $20 cable from lcom. Or
just use a composite cable connected to one of the component outputs.
See atv-bootloader (google it) for info on how to output composite
and s-video from the appletv under Linux.

>3) I figure going this route will 'future proof' my front-end
>purchase, so that when I eventually do upgrade to HD, I'll already
>have 1 piece.  (obviously, I'd need to upgrade my backend as well to
>record in HD to take advantage of HD).

yes this will work.