[mythtv-users] Prebuffering pauses and CFS

Yeechang Lee ylee at pobox.com
Mon Sep 15 21:32:37 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean <mtdean at thirdcontact.com> says:
> The main reason I'm mentioning this in its own thread is that there
> have been a /lot/ of threads on prebuffering pauses "with plenty of
> CPU" that may be due to this misconfiguration.  From digging through
> the 'net for information, it looks like a large number of distros
> are shipping kernels configured to use GROUP_SCHED with USER_SCHED,

I run CentOS 5 (kernel 2.6.18) and Fedora 6 (2.6.20) on my MythTV
boxes. CGROUP_SCHED and the other options appear to have been added to
the kernel in 2.6.24, so it's not an issue for me, fortunately.

It definitely was an issue for Ubuntu (and thus, I presume, Mythbuntu)
users earlier this year, especially multimedia-using ones; see
<URL:https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/188226> for
the whole tragic/sad story.

--
Frontend:		P4 3.0GHz, 1.5TB software RAID 5 array