[mythtv-users] Volume not adjustable in TV mode

Dave M G martin at autotelic.com
Mon Sep 15 10:01:25 UTC 2008

MythTV Users,

I have a very recent installation of Mythbuntu on a machine dedicated as
a media centre.

If I play back a video file, like an AVI, I can control the volume. Up,
down, and mute all work.

But when watching television, volume control has no effect. It seems to
be stuck at the maximum output is. Up, down, and mute all do nothing.

However, a volume indicator comes up on screen, and moves up and down
according to the buttons I press.

Any idea how it is that I'm getting a visual response but no actual
audio control?

And, assuming I can get the sound working, is it possible to lock the
master audio control for the computer at a certain output? I find it
very frustrating that each application (mythtv, mplayer...) modifies the
master sound so that when you switch from one app to another, the sound
level has changed. It would be ideal if each application only modified
it's own sound range within the maximum constrained by the system sound
control.

Hope that makes sense.

Thank you for any and all advice.

--