[mythtv-users] Playing Myth content from Symbian phone? eg Nokia N95

xavier hervy xavier.hervy at bluebottle.com
Mon Sep 15 09:10:57 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-09-14 at 10:06 +0100, Mike Dent wrote:
> My Son recently got a Nokia N95 8gb running symbian OS. I was
> surprised to see out mythtv box appear in its list
> of network media devices via our wifi network.
>
> It's possible to browse all the recordings, music and videos from the
> handset, however when attempting to play the
> content nothing happens.
> Does anybody know if it is possible? I'm assuming a codec is not
> available on the handset to play the videos but even
> the music does not appear to play, so maybe there is something else missing?
>
> As you can imagine it would be really cool and geeky to be able to do
> this kind of thing. Seems its part way there already!
>
> Thanks
> Mike
I am on happy user of a N95 first version, I can watch my recording on
my phone trough video center. However the recordings need to be
transcoded before, There is no way to play your recording straight away
(It might be possible but it depends of you TV card I suppose and what
profile you use).
My solution is in two part:
- a cron job which re encode the video in a adequate format using
ffmepg.
- a php file which allow me to generate the vcfg file (like reuters do)
and rss file
It does work pretty well.

The problem with the upnp stuff (home media) is  it show the recording
regardless the capabilities of the phone.

For the music, when I transfert them through upnp, the music a faulty
(i.e. the music jump quite often) which does happen when I transfert it
through http (via the nokia web browser)

My script to generate the the feed for video center is a bit dirty, but
I can clean it up and post it if needed.
Xavier