[mythtv-users] X2 5000 enough to play HD?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 15 03:53:34 UTC 2008

On 08/28/2008 12:48 AM, Owen Townend wrote:
> 2008/8/28 Michael T. Dean:
>
>> On 08/27/2008 08:34 PM, Owen Townend wrote:
>>
>>> The motherboard & chipset work great for me.

And, now, me, too.

>>>  It may just be a matter
>>> of picking the right playback options to get the same results.
>>>
>> I can guarantee in my case it's not a matter of MythTV playback settings
>> that are causing the issue.
>>
>> Since many others are having good luck with the chipset, I'm thinking it
>> must be some BIOS setting I need to flip.  (Speaking of which, thanks to
>> the annoying OC crowd, I'm not sure I've properly disabled overclocking
>> in my mobo's BIOS.)  But, I'll just update the BIOS and flip random
>> switches in the BIOS and see what turns up.

Turns out the BIOS settings were fine once I disabled the automatic
overclocking "feature" on the board.

>> Having my network throughput drop from 10MB/sec to 4MB/sec after
>> transferring some 50GiB of data is definitely a problem.  Since it
>> happened with 4 different NIC's (each using a different NIC driver), it
>> seems to indicate a problem with the mobo/chipset/BIOS settings.

Funny enough, the 4 NIC's I tried all used drivers that were broken in
the kernel I was using (2.6.26.2).  While reading the release notes for
2.6.26.4, I noticed that 2 of them (the 2 on-board NIC's that I wanted
to use) happened to be fixed.  Once upgrading to 2.6.26.5, I haven't
have any issues with NIC throughput dropping.

> For interests sake I just copied 70GB from the box to my desktop using
> rsync over ssh and it has held up ~14MB/s (~112Mbps). It's a little
> slow as ssh CPU use is my bottleneck on my aging desktop but it worked
> and is still going.
> I'd be willing to go through bios options and settings etc to compare
> notes if you'd like to.

Thanks, though for testing.

> As to my saa7134-alsa issue.. no luck using latest updates for 8.04
> and latest pull from the linuxtv repo. Still getting errors on
> modprobe. It's not in a stage where it 'just works' but it looks
> hopeful[0].

And, I finally figured out what was causing my problem.  I posted a
discussion of the problem and solution in another thread, so to close
out my filament(?) of this thread, I'll mention the short story--it was
my kernel's configuration, with CFS and GROUP_SCHED enabled and
USER_SCHED selected. For details and ideas for a solution, see:
http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/349300#349300

And, thanks to all who provided suggestions in this (and some of the
other recent prebuffering pause threads).

Mike