[mythtv-users] The perfect HTPC frontend?

belcampo belcampo at zonnet.nl
Fri Sep 12 06:20:15 UTC 2008

Another Sillyname wrote:
> Hi All
>
> I noticed on the list there's a lot of debate about what is the
> perfect frontend and I believe I've found it (I bought a few of these
> earlier in the year but it's taken me a while to get all the niggles
> sorted out.)
>
> The unit in the UK was known as an Advent X22 but it was actually an
> Intel reference design that was manufactured by Elite Computer Group
> (ECS) and known in the states as the P60 (badged by various different
> brands).
>
> Now why would you think this was the perfect FE?
>
> 1.  Dual Core Processor Support - Normally comes with a T2300
> 2.  Small Form Factor Case with DVD support (about the size of a Hardback Book)
> 3.  Wifi Built in 3945 Intel - Bad antenna though - I'll come onto this.
> 4.  Bluetooth Built In.
> 5.  Irda built in
> 6.  SAA 7163 Tuner built in - Now supported native in Kernel 2.6.25
> (F9 sees and detects native).
> 7.  DVI Output
> 8.  Memory up to 4GB (but I run a FE with 1GB under F9 gnome no problem)
> 9.  Standard Portable 2.5" SATA drive - Usually comes with 100GB which
> is plenty as an FE.
> 10. 2 USB2 Ports
> 11. Memory stick reader
As a frontend, it also looks alot like the ASUS EEEBox
No DVD, No Bluetooth, No Irda, No SAA 7163 Tuner,
But with
1.6GHz DualCore Atom CPU, 4 USB, CardReader SD/MMC, 1GHz network
Uses < 21Watt when playing 720p, Apple trailers
Costs Euro 250,00 and is new with warranty and XP-license, which could
probably be sold.