[mythtv-users] The perfect HTPC frontend?

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Thu Sep 11 23:46:23 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:

> That doesn't explain why they single out the mini where all their
> laptops, iMacs, AppleTV's and wireless networking hardware all have
> 802.11n. They just list it as, "11n draft (specification); IEEE
> 802.11a/b/g compatible"

Guess they finally succumbed to marketing pressures.

At least they are being honest about the standard being in the draft
stage right now. Many makers are not, or are doing so only in 2-point
type, after you open the box.

It looks to me like the 56K modem "standard" wars of years past.

Consumers are being deceived about the 802.11 speeds, none of the
wireless devices can come even close to the numbers on the boxes.

If you can win a lawsuit about hard drive capacity being described with
different terms, some lawyers should be able to get rich on these
wireless devices, because the terms are well defined, and the units
don't come close to the claims.

beww