[mythtv-users] Any Blu-Ray success stories?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Thu Sep 11 22:29:15 UTC 2008

Hi

2008/9/12 Florin Andrei <florin at andrei.myip.org>:
> I am under the impression that DumpHD relies on a database of keys that
> you need to keep updated and that may miss the key(s) for just the disk
> you want to watch. Am I wrong?

There is a database of keys available on the doom9 forum ; however I
found that most of the keys were missing for the disks I bought.

You have a tool called aacskeys that can retrieve the key for the disk
currently in your drive.

Finding aacskeys isn't too easy unfortunately, google it

> I've heard most people say that AnyDVD HD works great for BD decrypting
> on Windows. I find it hard to believe it will work under WINE, due to
> the way the application operates, but you never know. Somebody should
> try it and let everyone know.
>
> Now, according to Internet chatter, DVDFab HD Decrypter is known to work
> pretty well with DVD under WINE and it's free. It should work with BD
> under Windows, is my guess. Anybody tried to watch their legally
> purchased BD with it on Linux yet?
>
> http://www.dvdfab.com/free.htm
>
> Of course, even assuming you solve decryption, then just playing HD
> compressed with AVC or VC-1 (two out of the three codecs used by BD) may
> not be quite trivial on Linux.
> I know for a fact that interlaced (1080i) AVC, as created by AVCHD

But most (all?) bluray are using 1080p

> Then there's the issue of the sound tracks. AC3 is definitely playable
> on Linux. So is PCM. Not so sure about DTS and the other common formats.
> Some disks offer 5.1 (and higher) only in DTS or some other kind of
> strange formats. I don't want to be restricted to 2.0 audio.

I leave to my sound processor all that task ; just configure your
player to pass-through any DTS or AC3 sound stream

It's not easy to watch a bluray on linux and you certainly need a lot
of patience