[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Nick F nikos.f at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 18:39:08 UTC 2008

On Wed, Sep 10, 2008 at 12:53 AM, Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com> wrote:

> Robert Johnston <anaerin at gmail.com> says:
> > 2008/9/9 Yeechang Lee <ylee at pobox.com>:
> > > Fact: There is insufficient bandwidth within the Freeview system
> > > for HD.
> >
> > Not meaning to pick nits here, but you're wrong on that regard.
>
> I am well aware of the tiny over-the-air HD trial that was run in the
> London area
> (<URL:http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/mythtv/users/276184#276184>).
> From
> the article you cite:
>
>    Not surprisingly 98% of the 450 people who took part think that
>    the over-the-air HD service should be available now. Those people
>    can whistle all they want because the bandwidth just isn't
>    available.

As someone who relocated from the UK to the US two months ago - I'd add just
one point to the UK (ROW) vs. US 'debate'

The quality of SD DVB-S and DVB-T transmissions is light-years ahead of the
SD NTSC signal on cable (I don't know about satellite).  And - this is from
multiple datapoints at people's houses/hotels/etc.

European SD DVB transmissions (from properly mastered programmes like BBC
dramas) are very similar to DVD quality.  The gap between SD and HD is not
that great - so the demand hasn't been there.

SD NTSC transmissions in the US are horrible - so it doesn't surprise me
that adoption has been faster here - you needed it!  Most Americans
presented with European 'quality' TV with screen sizes <42 inches would
probably stick with SD.

It's not to disagree with your comments about availability of programming,
but rather explain the different adoption curves.