[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 9 18:38:04 UTC 2008

Allen Edwards wrote:
> Well, they can get more stations in the same total BW but you have to be
> thinking big picture.  Each station has the same BW but the band plan is
> tighter.  With analog TV, if you put a station on a channel, you can't
> use some rather large number of other channels.  One source I saw said
> that assigning channel 30 blocked 19 other channels.  That seems
> excessive but they are putting DTV stations right next to each other.

I don't know about the "19 channels" figure, but co-channel interference
*was* a problem for analog TV.  I used to live in a sort of "between
markets" area, which resulted in us receiving both broadcast channels 5
and 6.  There was always "venetian blind" interference from their video
signals interfering.

Shortly after, we had an FM station go up nearby, and that interfered
with channel 6 as well.  I had to install an FM trap to clear it up.