[mythtv-users] 16:9 zoom/stretch and 0.21

ryan patterson ryan.goat at gmail.com
Tue Sep 9 15:52:17 UTC 2008

On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 9:19 PM, <backuppc at sundquist.imapmail.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 08 Sep 2008 Mike said:
>
> > For my mythTV setup I have a dedicated backend and two frontends. All
> > systems run ubuntu 8.04 (but not mythbuntu as I don't like their
> > "improvements").
>
> Just curious, Ryan, which "improvements" do you find a problem?  I'm no
> fanboi or anything, just curious.
>
> J.S.

Hello,

Here is a quick summary as to why I don't use Mythbuntu.  The people behind
Mythbuntu (and many other software developers) seem to think that having the
user interact with a GUI and hiding what is actually happening is always the
better way to design software.  This seems to come from the general belief
that using a GUI is "easier" then using a combination of command line input
and man readable textfiles to configure software.  But in my experience
using a GUI and hiding the inner workings from the user is not always the
best solution.  I think configuring a MythTV computer is a textbook case
where a forcing the user to interact with a GUI and hiding the details is
the wrong solution.

When I used Mythbuntu and the MCC program I found it took significantly
longer to configure a new installation and it took much much longer to
troubleshoot anything that didn't work 100% after mythbuntu automatically
configured it for me.

Now I have been using ubuntu for all my mythtv boxes since before mythbuntu
and MCC was released.  So I can directly compare the two choices.  Also I
have lots of experience with knoppmyth (before I switched to ubuntu), so I
know how well a preconfigured mythTV setup should work.  I saw no reason to
to use Mythbuntu since all it did was frustrate me.

-Ryan