[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Jeff Walther trag at io.com
Tue Sep 9 14:15:28 UTC 2008

> Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 22:32:50 -0400
> From: "Jason Sullivan" <jason0x21 at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: [mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 10:26 PM, David Brodbeck <gull at gull.us> wrote:
>> Jason Sullivan wrote:
>>> This is the part I don't get, because a big part of public safety is
>>> being able to get information when the power goes out.  Are there any
>>> OTA digital portable TVs?
>>
>> I haven't seen any.

>> Aside from cost issues, digital portable TVs represent an interesting
>> marketing problem.  The public has been conditioned to think that
>> digital TV means HDTV.  But supporting 1080i on a 10" diagonal display
>> would make no sense whatsoever.
>
> Maybe not aesthetic sense, but surely it's technically possible.  The
> displays with the resolution are there.

The display may be technically possible but reception of 8VSB signaling,
on which ATSC is based, is not a solved technical problem.   In other
words, no one knows how to do mobile ATSC reception yet.

You could build a portable TV with ATSC reception, but it needs to be
stationary while you watch it.

Jeff Walther