[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware decoders (was Re: completely new and have questions before I buy hardware)

Brad DerManouelian myth at dermanouelian.com
Tue Sep 9 04:52:44 UTC 2008

On Sep 8, 2008, at 8:14 PM, Brian Wood wrote:

> Brad DerManouelian wrote:
>
>> It's 2008. PVR-350 was great in 2004/2005. Now it's 2008. I also have
>> a PVR-350. It's actually quite a bit better than my PVR-150 for
>> capturing and I used it for playback for about a year back in 2005. I
>> think it's definitely worth getting a PVR-250 over a 150. 350 if you
>> can't find a 250. 150 as last resort. I'm going to toss my 150 in a
>> dev machine now that I have HD-PVR capture happening from one of my
>> satellite boxes.
>

> "Better" in what way? I have a 350 in a drawer someplace, and I'm
> using
> 3 PVR-150s. I never noticed any substantial difference, and am using
> the
> 150s just because of less power/heat.

Images look softer to me on the 150 using s-video on both - I never
saw a difference when using Coax or Composite on both. Also, I
sometimes get the tinny audio problem on my 150 that I never get on
the 350. I wasn't happy with the solution of resetting the audio via
cron every 10 seconds and resetting the audio at the end of my channel
change script didn't always fix it, so I'm happy to see it go.