[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

David Brodbeck gull at gull.us
Tue Sep 9 02:22:26 UTC 2008

Brad DerManouelian wrote:
> I'm pretty sure they're comparing the reaction of seeing HD over SD to
> the reaction of people seeing color after watching black & white TV
> for years. They're trying to convince people to upgrade, that's all.

They have to "sell" HDTV to the public so they see the switch as
benefiting them in some way.  The changeover was mostly driven by a
desire to sell off the old spectrum, not because the public was
demanding it; except for videophiles and sports fans with bigscreen TVs,
most people were perfectly happy with NTSC.