[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 8 20:59:46 UTC 2008

Jason Sullivan wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 8, 2008 at 4:41 PM, Brian Wood <beww at beww.org> wrote:
>> Now lets all wait and see if the "public safety enhancements", touted as
>> a major reason for this switch, materialize. Anyone want to place bets?
>>

> This is the part I don't get, because a big part of public safety is
> being able to get information when the power goes out.  Are there any
> OTA digital portable TVs?  I know there are plenty of USB tuners, but
> I'm talking about something much more simple than watching TV on a
> laptop.  The five-button TV (power, volume, channel).
>
> Are OTA HDTV cellphones gonna make it here soon?  I know DVB-T is
> different from ATSC, and that that apparently has something to do with
> it; but I don't know more.

The "public safety enhancements" are based on the idea that some of the
VHF spectrum, formerly used for NTSC TV, will be available for police,
fire, ambulance etc. use. The truth is that only a tiny sliver of the
freed up spectrum will be made available, the government anticipates
huge revenues from auctioning off the majority of the space to the
highest bidders.

But the notion helped get the issue through the Congress, and silenced
some of the detractors, especially after 9/11 and the well-publicized
radio communication problems at the WTC, which had nothing to do with
available spectrum.

The spectrum belongs to "the people", but will soon belong to Verizon,
Sprint, ATT etc.

beww