[mythtv-users] DTV: It Has Begun

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Sep 8 20:49:00 UTC 2008

On 09/08/2008 04:34 PM, Jay R. Ashworth wrote:
> While everyone knows that The Big Ol' Analog Switch will be getting
> pulled next spring, and OTA NTSC-M will be no more (except for low power
> stations and translators; pity them), I'd bet most of you didn't know
> that Wilmington NC pulled said switch *today at Noon ET*:
>
> 	http://www.wral.com/news/local/story/3502478/

Heh...  "The transition is being compared to the change from
black-and-white television to color TV in the 1950s."

The funny thing being that the color TV standard was chosen explicitly
to make the signal backwards-compatible with existing tuners/decoders in
B&W TV's while maintaining the broadcast channel bandwidth already in
use.  In other words, how exactly is the digital TV transition similar
to the B&W to color transition?

And, don't even get me started on the number of stations broacasting
digital high-def material with a "DTV Transition 2009" graphic  on the
left with a scroller that says something to the effect of, "If you are
receiving this program through a cable or satellite TV receiver, there
is nothing you need to do.  However, if you are receiving the program
through an antenna, there are additional steps you must perform before
the transition to continue to receive this high-quality programming."
The graphic and scroller are obviously rendered on an HDTV picture, and
cutting the widescreen picture to 4:3 would leave some portion of the
"DTV Transition 2009" graphic, while cutting off the rest, so they're
obviously encoding it differently into a non-HDTV .  So, why in the
world are they telling me that I need to get cable or satellite TV (the
message I would expect most sheep to take from their simplistic, "cable
and satellite work, but /you/ have to do more work if you use an
antenna," statement) when I'm happily watching the digital transmission
received from my antenna.

Mike