[mythtv-users] OT: Hardware decoders (was Re: completely new and have questions before I buy hardware)

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Mon Sep 8 17:28:12 UTC 2008

Michael T. Dean wrote:

> But, whatever.  If people really want to live with (and are willing to
> not complain about) the limitations they get with "hardware" decode,
> more power to them.  I won't be using it myself.

The biggest problem with hardware decoding is that it is, well,
hardware. If (more likely when) another codec comes along it will be
useless. For example, hardware mpeg2 decoding is pretty useless with h264.

Of course all decoding is a software function, the software/hardware
distinction is really just a question of where the software is running.

> The main point of my post, though, was that the PVR-350's hardware SDTV
> decoder is a waste, and I firmly stand by that assertion.

I agree as far as building a new box, but if you have a 350 hanging
around and want to make use of it, and you only need or want SD, it can
certainly be useful.

I certainly wouldn't buy one today.

beww