[mythtv-users] Home media system

peter nikolic p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Mon Sep 8 16:59:34 UTC 2008

On Monday 08 September 2008, Steve Daniels wrote:
> 2008/9/6 peter nikolic <p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com>:
> > Hi filks .
> >
> > I have been asked to look into a home media system for a friend of mine .
> >
> > What he is looking for is something like a server locked away in some
> > cupboard just getting on with life  then  streaming content out to up to
> > 7 different rooms about the house to include live TV to each room  (this
> > would presumebly need a tv card for each stream) also to serve recorded
> > video and play stored DVD's from some form of multi player
> >
> > Has this been done / attempted  if so any pointers would be welcome
> >

> > Pete .
>
> Hi Pete,
>
> You seem to be in the UK?
>
> What video sources are you going to be using? DVB-T/S?
>
> With 6 DVB-T cards you can theoretically record the UK's DVB-T
> channels in there entirety. Though I believe MythTV still can't
> transparently channel change between multiplexes on multiple cards.
>
> Case: You have 6 cards, on each card you are recording a channel on
> each of the multiplex's. Someone then starts to watch LiveTV and will
> be restricted to only the channels on the mux that the tuner is tuned
> into that they initially started watching LiveTV with. Unless they
> flick through cards. With this in mind I'm currently building (case on
> desk, hardware going in, software installation this weekend) a new
> MythTV backend that will have 6 tuner cards streaming individual
> channels from the multiplexes using VLC into the backend. This should
> allow me to get around the current problem.
> Note: I haven't followed MythTV that closely recently so I'm not 100%
> sure if this is still an issue, or how soon the fix is coming. I'll
> have to confirm this on Sat before I proceed.
>
> Steve Daniels

Hi Steve

Yes located just outside Birmingham  Warley .

What mother board are  you using  i am having problems trying to locate any
mother board with more that 3 PCI  1 PCI express  and 1 PCI express 16 ie the
fast and slow PCI express slots  i would like to remain with AMD CPU's and
Nvidia for graphics  as these have always served me well

Ok on the limits on viewing recording  ia all probability no more than 2 or 3
multiplexes would be in use at any one time more like 2 most of the time
also interested what TV cards are you using  yes it would be DVB-T for now i
think but maybe DVB on cable as well in the futre

Pete .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)