[mythtv-users] Newbie - Problem with secondary PC

James Crow james at ultratans.com
Mon Sep 8 13:16:21 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-09-05 at 21:17 -0500, Greg Hermsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I had a number of problems (error messages and setup failing) in my
> initial setup, so I began to alternate between localhost and a static IP
> with each attempt at the installation.  Eventually I got the install to
> work, but now I have a static ip in the backend and localhost in my
> MySQL database.
>
> I tried mythweb, vnc and connecting via upnp in Windows XP.  I was not
> able to connect regardless of how I tried.
>
> Is localhost in MySQL the problem?  If so, how do I change that?
>
> Thanks for your help.
> Greg

Greg,

  I am not sure where you have localhost in the DB. Here is what I did
to add a second machine to my master BE/FE under Mythbuntu.

1) Stop the backend.

2) Edit /etc/mysql/my.cnf. Look for a line that says "bind-address =
127.0.0.1". Change the IP to the actual static IP of the computer.
Restart mysql.

3) Run mythtv-setup on the master backend and input the IP (not
127.0.0.1) for the DB and master BE.

4) Start the master BE.

5) Configure the salve BE or slave FE using the IP of the master.

Thanks,
James