[mythtv-users] Long delays with remote occasionally

Sean Cier scier at PostHorizon.com
Sun Sep 7 23:31:23 UTC 2008

Another data point.  One of my frontends did this, a lot -- half the
time I tried to do something, it'd take two minutes or more to realize
I'd hit a button.  Made it completely unusable -- who wants a DVR that
won't pause?

-- It is *not* lirc: when the problem popped up, both my remote and my
(non-lirc) IR keyboard did exactly the same thing.

-- Started right after a "latest FC8" -> "latest FC9" upgrade a couple
days ago (both on -fixes via atrpms).  *Never* happened before that, and
this hardware's been running a frontend for over four years (the latest
clean reinstall was at least a few months ago).

-- Turning on OpenGL sync seems to have made the problem nearly go
away.  I have observed it once since then (in about 1.5 evenings of usage).

-- I only ever observed it during playback, not in menus (SDTV; this
thing's /just/ powerful enough to play most 720p HDTV streams pulled off
cable, but I don't have any at the moment because my backend doesn't get
along with my cable box over firewire lately.  Gonna buy an HDHR as soon
as Amazon's price goes down again.  I'd already have it if Amazon hadn't
canceled their price guarantee policy...)

-- I only ever observed it after the playback had been running for at
least a minute or two.  Similarly, once it responded to something, it
seems like it continued responding for at least a little while.  This
could be a sampling bias though.

-- At least some of the commands queued up; I'd hit some buttons, then
sit and wait for a while, and *usually* eventually they (or at least
some of them) would take effect, all in a row.  Of course, I've no idea
what level they queued up at.  I *know* keyboard commands queued up, but
I'm not 100% certain I observed lirc events queue up.  The keyboard
always seemed to provide a higher chance of actually working, eventually.

-- Changing playback profiles, video-as-timebase, extra-audio-buffering
had no effect.  Enabling realtime threads didn't either, but I didn't
verify changing that setting actually worked on the system, so it
could've been a no-op anyhow.

-spc