[mythtv-users] Home media system

peter nikolic p.nikolic1 at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 6 23:25:43 UTC 2008

On Saturday 06 September 2008, robbinsck1 at gmail.com wrote:
> > Mythtv server and 7 of the yet to be released HD-Media MVPs.  But, Mythtv
> > is a hobby, not a put it in the closet and forget it.
> > Allen

> What is a "Yet to be released HD-Media MVPs"
>
> Is there finally going to be a silent/cheap HD replacement for the MVP's?
>
> Mitchell
>

> oh,  and for the org. poster...yes this can be done...you would need a
> full blown computer for each frontend and a server with tuners....
>
> Mitchell
>

> In my opinion the apple tv is the best frontend/bang for the buck around.
> Which is a wireless HD frontend with built in IR and nearly dead silent.
> $200.00 each.
I would be using decent small footprint PC's with high end Nvidia video cards
have to admit to not being a great Apple fan

I had thought of gigabit ethernet for the distributionas getting the wiring in
will be very easy using 2 or 3 gigabit cards on the server and as many
gigabit switches so each one is only lightly loaded .

> Then your going to need a nice hardy backend with at minimum
> 5 tuners and 2-4 TB of storage. (Don't skimp on the backend machine!!!)

What would you say for the back end box   i was thinking along the lines of
AMD 64x2  8Gb Ram  300Gb Sata for the system then a few Tb of NAS storage for
data / recordings  , Then there is the question of the DVD Play side what
drives are there out ther that can simultainiousley(SP)  play say 2 or 3 DVD
films or is it a case of multiple single drives ?

> But yes Mythtv will fullfill this quest easlily.

I had hoped so  thanks

> Kevin

does this sound ok ..

Cheers   Pete .

--
SuSE Linux 10.3-Alpha3. (Linux is like a wigwam - no Gates, no Windows, and an
Apache inside.)