[mythtv-users] Planning to upgrade system from Fedora 6 to Fedora 9

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 18:59:00 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 11:43 AM, John H <arizonamythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
> Fedora 10 is coming out in two months. May want to wait.
>
> You could also compile mythtv instead of upgrading the OS assuming you
> can still get the dependencies.
>
> I'll soon be facing the same issue as I'm running F8 and everything is
> rock solid. I had serious issues with FC6 that were solved by F8. I
> tried to upgrade from F6 to F7 and I had a dependency nightmare that I
> couldn't figure out so I ended up doing a fresh install.

I've had a couple of those.

What I try to do is determine if the dependency conflict involves a
package which affects basic system functionality.  If not, then I
remove the offending item with "--nodeps", and trust that all will be
resolved when the upgrade is done (or that I can find and install the
equivalent package after upgrading).  That's obviously not a viable
choice if it's a critical system component - if that sort of thing is
removed, then it may be impossible to upgrade easily.

The above is referring to online upgrades, since those are the type I
usually do (I manage a number of systems for others).

Calvin