[mythtv-users] Planning to upgrade system from Fedora 6 to Fedora 9

Calvin Dodge caldodge at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 16:43:33 UTC 2008

On Sat, Sep 6, 2008 at 9:26 AM, Geoffrey Leach <geoff at hughes.net> wrote:
> On 09/06/2008 09:15:22 AM, Vijay Gill wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> My system has been running very very stable since the days of FC6.
>> MythTV running on it is 0.20.2 and capture card is PVR 150. Many a
>> times I thought of upgrading it but the stability of the system
>> stopped me from doing so. But now I just want to know if people out
>> there are using FC9 and if it is working well for them with PVR 150
>> driver along with latest version of MythTV.

I've been using FC9 with the PVR 500 (which, IIRC, uses 2 of the same
tuner found in the PVR 150). It works fine.

There are still problems with the bttv driver and the 2.6.25 kernel
(at least, as far as the WinTV-Go card is concerned), but that's not
an issue for you.

> Why? Seriously, if it ain't bust, don't fix it.
>
> If you do decide to move to Fedora 9, don't try to update. Do a clean

I respectfully disagree. I've updated a system from 4 to 9 by going a
step a time (4 to 5, 5 to 6), except that I went straight from 7 to 9.

The only showstopper I ran across was the change from /dev/hdXX to
/dev/sdXX, and I dealt with that by making sure that partition
references (in /etc/fstab and /boot/grub/grub.conf) where based on
volume IDs, rather than device names. Even THAT might not have been
necessary - except that that 4 to 9 upgrade was done remotely (update
fedora-release, run "yum upgrade), so I had to be sure there would be
no booting problems.

Calvin Dodge