[mythtv-users] completely new and have questions before I buy hardware

Brian Wood beww at beww.org
Sat Sep 6 15:17:33 UTC 2008

Justin The Cynical wrote:
> Quenten Griffith wrote:
>> Thanks Brian, that is what I was afraid of, once the cable company goes all digital it will be encrypted and I will need their basic set top box in order to watch TV.  So in that case, if I use a STB I can use any card including analog and won't need a digital card.  So if I can get my hands on a PVR-350 I should get it and another STB.  Thanks everyone for your help.
>

> So your cable company is killing off all analog service?
>
> I ask as it seems that many people believe, for whatever reason, that
> the FCC ruling regarding analog broadcasts applies to cable service,
> when it actually applies to broadcast stations only.
>
> I don't know if it's a misunderstanding of the upcoming change, cable
> company reps being misinformed, or cable companies out right fibbing,
> but it seems to be a common misconception.

It's probably a combination of all of the above. The "technician" my
cable company sent to my house said he was told they were moving to all
digital to comply with FCC regulations.

I think at least some cable companies want to get the extra money for
STBs from the customers while blaming it on the government. The ads
being run about the changeover are confusing enough to help them in this
endeavor.

bew