[mythtv-users] Internal player is muted‏

not James Knox jamesknox9 at hotmail.com
Sat Sep 6 00:28:28 UTC 2008

> <I think I put the attributions back the way they should be after they
> were completely broken, mangled, and even fabricated by the user's mail
> client.  I'm trying hard not to say bad things about Windows Live
> Messenger for making me have to go through the trouble of fixing the
> e-mail.  I am, however, wondering why they put an advertisement at the
> bottom of e-mails from their system when the e-mails are such a mess (in
> both the HTML and plain text versions).  If I wrote an e-mail program
> that doesn't work properly, I'd probably put my competitor's product
> name at the bottom to try to keep customers from choosing the
> competitor.  Now that I think about it, maybe that's what happened here...>

   My next message will come from another e-mail system.

> On 09/04/2008 12:31 AM, not James Knox wrote:
>
>  > On 08/30/2008 4:49 PM, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>  >
>  >> On 08/30/2008 03:52 PM, not James Knox wrote:
>  >>
>  >>> I'm using MythVideo to watch my digital media, and while previous
>  >>> versions seemed to work rather well, with these latest rpms (the
>  >>> ones for Suse 10.2 off of packman) suddenly the sound is gone
>  >>> when I'm playing media on the internal player. Not only that, the
>  >>> volume control on my remote doesn't seem to have any effect
>  >>> either. Here's my lircrc. That's the one that I edit to make the
>  >>> remote work with the players, right? Note that most of the other
>  >>> controls for the internal player do work, but the volume doesn't.
>  >>> I mean, I don't even get the popup indicating a volume change.
>  >>
>  >> Did you check MythControls to verify that VOLUMEUP is F11 and
>  >> VOLUMEDOWN is F10 in TV Playback, TV Frontend, and/or Music
>  >> contexts?
>  >
>  > Ok, I did in fact figure out how to install MytControls (it seems
>  > plugins are available to Suse users on Packman) and was able to
>  > confirm that VOLUMEUP is F11. So what do I look for now?
>
> Then, most likely your audio configuration is broken and Myth isn't
> actually opening your audio device, so Myth won't let you change the
> volume since audio is disabled.
>
> For the basics:  remember, if you have "Audio output device" set to
> "ALSA:default", you need to set "Mixer device" to "ALSA:default" but if
> you have "Audio output device" set to "/dev/dsp" (or any "numbered"
> version of /dev/dsp), you need to set "Mixer device" to "/dev/mixer" (or
> the numbered version of /dev/mixer , typically such that the number is
> the same one following the /dev/dsp).
>
> Could also be your ALSA configuration or your distro may have configured
> your system to use PulseAudio or some other sound server that may not be
> supported on Myth systems.

     Would any of these problems cause Myth's internal player to be muted, but mplayer (or whatever I use as the external player) would not be? I doubt that the problem is my audio system being broken, since my audio *does* work under certain circumstances.